Elite Easy Access Members, upgrade your membership HERE.
two old men

Non Immigrant OA visa (Retirement-Long Stay Visa)

The single entry non-immigrant visa is used as the default visa for those who are seeking to come into Thailand for a variety of purposes.

For instance, one has to apply and hold a non-immigrant visa (regardless of number of entry or length of validity) in order to be able to apply for specific permits to stay in Thailand. If one decides to seek out work in the country, they can convert the non-immigrant visa to a work permit by applying for a B visa.

Another scenario, as explained in a previous blog, is when a person wants to come to Thailand to marry a local, and start a new life in the Kingdom. By default, he or she needs to apply for a non-immigrant visa and then apply for a spousal visa.

In both cases, when approved, the applicant receives an automatic upgrade to a one-year permit to stay as opposed to the initial 90-day allowance of the default visa.

Now, what if the foreigner wants to stay in Thailand for at least a year, but without seeking employment or marriage? In this case, one has to apply for a non-immigrant OA visa – the specific visa requirement for expats looking to retire in Thailand.

Who Can Apply for the Non-Immigrant OA Visa?

Here are the following criteria for applicants of the non-immigrant OA visa:

  • Individuals who are 50 years and older, and are not blacklisted from entering Thailand
  • Individuals that don’t have criminal records in the Kingdom and their home nation
  • Individuals must be a national of the country from which the application is submitted
  • Individuals without a record of any of the prohibited diseases listed in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535

Requirements for the Non-Immigrant OA Visa

To apply for the visa, one must need to furnish the following requirements:

  • A duly filled out application form
  • Passport with remaining validity of at least 18 months
  • Medical certificate
  • 2×2 photos
  • Certificate of financial capability and letter of guarantee
  • Certification of no criminal record from state police agency
  • Outpatient medical insurance

Applications can be sent via mail, or in person. All applications must be made at or addressed to the Thai Embassy applicant’s country of origin.

Guidelines When Already a Holder of a Non-Immigrant OA Visa

When you’re already a holder of a non-immigrant OA visa in Thailand, please bear in mind a few guidelines so that you don’t come into conflict with the local authorities.

First, the non-immigrant OA visa is good for multiple entries, which you can use for the entirety of the year given to you. You can exit every 90 days, if you don’t want to go through the 90-day reporting, and then return. It’s fine as long as the visa is valid and you have applied for a re-entry permit; otherwise, your visa is voided.

You can stay in Thailand for an entire year without leaving, and even apply for an additional year if your personal intents and purposes require you to do so.

The Thailand Elite visa offers you the same long-stay benefits, but with a passport and visa that are both valid for five years! Contact us if you require more information on the subject.



Related Posts

Business meeting
A Close Look at the Non Immigrant B visa (Business Visa)

As mentioned in our previous blog, when you’re visiting a foreign country, you...

Non- Immigrant O X visa (5 yr Retirement Visa)

Thailand is such a beautiful place. It’s not a surprise if somebody would...

Leave a Comment